[systemd-devel] Question about the cross session dependence

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Mon Apr 22 00:58:29 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Li, Min A <min.a.li at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi systemd experts,
>

> I have a question about the dependence of user and system session. At system
> session, there is a service which need to be started after X(user session).
>
> At first I added “After=xorg.target” at this service, but It is said that
> the dependence of cross session is not work. Is that true?

The user session instance does not know anything about the state of
system services. So yes.

> If Yes, what’s the solution for this kind of issue?

If you start your xorg through systemd --system, you will have to find
an alternative way to tell the systemd --user how to determine that
the service is ready. You can make a hack with a path unit, or write a
user session service that uses IPC to communicate with the system
session in some way. Nobody has looked at that, afaik.

This is why user-session-units starts the X server from within the
systemd --user environment - it removes that problem entirely.

Auke