[systemd-devel] SyncIntervalSec not good on battery

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 23 11:51:26 PDT 2013

On Tue, 23.04.13 15:29, Cristian Rodríguez (crrodriguez at opensuse.org) wrote:

> Hi:
>
> The journal's new SyncIntervalSec is cool when you are plugged to an
> stable source of energy but it is not when on battery, where it will
> wake up the disk .. could it be possible to skip it when
> ConditionACPower=false ?

Note that this only configures the maximum time to keep unwritten log
messages in memory. If there's nothing unwritten, then we won't wake up
at all.

Or to turn this around: if this configured value is an issue, then
better fix that specific software that constantly wakes up and generates
messages. If the machine is idle, then nothing should log and nothing
needs to be written. If the machine is not idle, and something logged,
then we should flush it to disk eventually.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.