[systemd-devel] guidance on how to get systemd to function

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Fri Aug 2 02:03:45 PDT 2013

Greetings

I am learning to use systemd.

My computer has grub2 installed.  the linux kernel version is linux-3.10.4. It
has sysV-init and udev-182.   I am about to remove udev and install
systemd-206 ( and all the dependencies thereof ).  I will   then    try
starting the machine with systemd.  But I dont not know how to do this.

Firstly  I read somewhere that I need to add

init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd  to  /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to get systemd to work. This is the only definite piece of advice I have been
able to garner from my search on the internet.

Now as regards 'starting with  systemd' this is my list of **know's** and
**dont-know's**:-

--I do     know I need to remove udev-182,
--I do not know if I need to remove init scripts from /etc/rc.d and/or  if I
need to disable /etc/inittab
--I do not know if I need   some type of script file that calls the various
systemd service files in a manner say akin to the old rc.sysinit
such as :-

systemctl    enable service   Calooh
systemctl    enable service   Callay
systemctl    enable service   Boroughgroves  etc ...

---and if I do when to call it
---and if I dont how/when  to call systemd and direct it to start only the
services neded ( of those installed ).

advice would be appreciated.

Yours sincerely
luxInteg