[systemd-devel] guidance on how to get systemd to function

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 2 02:34:37 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM, lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Firstly  I read somewhere that I need to add
>
> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd  to  /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> to get systemd to work. This is the only definite piece of advice I have been
> able to garner from my search on the internet.

That sounds about right, but you would be better off checking the
documentation of your distro to find the definite answer (as the
details depend on how they implement things).

> Now as regards 'starting with  systemd' this is my list of **know's** and
> **dont-know's**:-
>
> --I do     know I need to remove udev-182,

Correct, it will be replaced by systemd-udevd, which in principle also
sysvinit could make use of.

> --I do not know if I need to remove init scripts from /etc/rc.d and/or  if I
> need to disable /etc/inittab

You don't. They will both be ignored, and can be kept around in case
you want to roll back.

> --I do not know if I need   some type of script file that calls the various
> systemd service files in a manner say akin to the old rc.sysinit
> such as :-

Not at all, no.

> systemctl    enable service   Calooh
> systemctl    enable service   Callay
> systemctl    enable service   Boroughgroves  etc ...
>
> ---and if I do when to call it
> ---and if I dont how/when  to call systemd and direct it to start only the
> services neded ( of those installed ).

When you point init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd, systemd will be PID1 and
it will start your default.target (typically pointing to
multi-user.target or graphical.target), which will pull in all the
needed dependencies.

See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/bootup.html for a
more detailed explanation.

HTH,