[systemd-devel] guidance on how to get systemd to function

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 2 04:00:11 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM, lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Would you care to elaborate what  PID1 is please?

I suggest you read up on systemd to answer this and many other
standard questions. The link posted by Reindl is a good start, but I
suggest also reading all the links under "Manuals and Documentation
for Users and Administrators" (not all the manpages are necessary
reading, but some of them are) and "The systemd for Administrators
Blog Series" from http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/.

>  I shall presume the so called default target in this instance  is multi-user-
> target.as   I am not using X windows and hopefully  wont ever need systemd for
> xwindows..

By default, default.target is multi-user.target. You can find out what
yours is by calling "systemctl get-default" and change it with
"systemctl set-default".

> Now I have put custom service files in /etc/systemd./system
> I am  using my own service and mount files to mount kernel-based filesystems
> and the root filesysem. I am  using my own service files for  for hwclock, ntp
> , rsyslog and  network cofiguration.

Before adding your own service files, I strongly recommend first
trying the default ones shipped with systemd. You'll then get an
example of how things should be set up. In particular, you won't need
your own service files for kernel-based filesystems, the root
filesystem nor hwclock as these are all covered by the systemd
defaults. Also, I believe rsyslog comes with systemd service files by
default, so you don't need your own for that either. For network
configuration and ntp that depends on what software you use, some come
with systemd service files by default and others do not (but check the
files shipped by one of the standard distros before writing your own).

> How will systemd know how to use the
> files I put in /etc/systemd/system and not try and substitute so called
> 'defaut' ones?

Your files will take precedence if you give them the same name as they
file you replace. See "Unit Load Path" in
<http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html>
for details.

HTH,

Tom