[systemd-devel] Impact when not loading ipv6 and autofs kernel module ...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 9 08:49:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, 07.08.13 11:24, Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) (mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com) wrote:

> Hello systemd developers,
>
> I found that systemd automatically tries to load ipv6 and autofs kernel modules, when they are not compiled in.
> Could you give me a hint what is not working, when they are neither provided as kernel modules nor compiled in?
>
> In case of autofs I found that automount units are not working any more (I would have expected this). Without ipv6 I can't find any problems by now.
>
> So:
>

> 1.       Is there any other impact but the described one when the
> autofs kernel feature is missing?

No. .automount units become unavailable, but that's all.

> 2.       What impact do I have to expect in case the kernel does not provide ipv6 functionality?

Well, support for IPv6 goes away, of course. The reason we explicitly
load the module at early boot is that we try to configure the loopback
device to ::1, but that can only work if IPv6 is available in the
kernel. Doing this kind of loopback configuration of IPv6 however is not
hooked up to the kernel-side auto-loading of ipv6.ko hence we load it
explicitly from usersapce.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.