[systemd-devel] Using the hwdb in external programs

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 03:03:27 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm aware of at least half a dozen programs and daemons that read and
parse /usr/share/hwdata/pnp.ids to convert PNP_IDS to actual vendor
names. Although this file will be in hot cache at login, it does seem
a waste of a lot of duplicated parsing and hashing code. I'm aware the
PNP_ID database is used in the hwdb, and hashed in an efficient way.
I'm wondering if external applications (like gnome-settings-daemon)
could use the data there.

Ideas welcome, thanks,

Richard.