[systemd-devel] Please pass 'fsck.mode=force' on the kernel command line rather than creating /forcefsck on the root file system

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 16 02:13:27 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Reindl Harald at 15/08/13 22:04 did gyre and gimble:
> Please pass 'fsck.mode=force' on the kernel command line rather than creating /forcefsck on the root file system
>
> please drop this deprectaion, it is disturbing and useless
>
> if you want a forced fsck for *whatever* reason you do *not* want
> to edit the grub-config and need to remove it after pass to prevent
> on the next boot a unintented fsck

So perhaps you just enter it manually when you boot if it's an
interactive machine? No editing needed.

And besides, if you did write the config, why would you want to "prevent
on the next boot an unintended fsck"... surely the whole point in
writing the config is that it was an *intended* fsck, not an unintended one?

If you want the option to disappear after one boot then this should be
fixed in the bootloader itself (e.g. via rebootin on lilo/grub1 - not
sure about grub2 but I would expect it to support "one time boot"
options of some sort).

> nor do you want to struggle with
> the boot-menu on remote-machines

Fair enough, but lots of remote machines have consoles that let you pick
even the boot options these days. It's not that crazy.

> this warning is pointless and useless

If I suspect my root partition has corruption and I want to do an fsck,
the first thing I'll do is remount it ro, as fast as I possibly can. The
*last* thing I want to do is write more data to it potentially making
any corruption worse.

Having a file to trigger the fsck on the same filesystem I want to check
is braindead. A kernel command line arg is a much safer and more
sensible approach.

So no, it's not pointless and it's not useless.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie