[systemd-devel] [RFC] Integrating an early-boot service in a blocking way?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 16 16:51:13 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

On 16 Aug 2013 05:01, "Michael Stapelberg" <stapelberg at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the debian-live people have approached me and want to experiment with
> systemd. One of the things they need to have is running a service called
> live-config.service, but the issue is that it needs to run in early
> boot, even before udev.
>
> We thought of maybe creating a custom target, but it would need to run
> before basic.target and I don’t see a good way of doing that.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how to solve this (and making live-config work
> in a different way does not count :))? Thanks!

Couldn't you simply order your service before all the things in
basic.target that you want to run before? Note that you need to disable
default dependencies to avoid cycles ( see how the other services in
basic.target deal with this).

I agree with Colin that doing this from an initrd is probably more elegant
and less fragile, but then you probably have to adjust your service (and if
you do you probably don't need to run before udev in your initrd, but
that's just a guess) :)

Cheers,

Tom