[systemd-devel] [RFC 05/12] gfx: add sd-gfx library with unifont section

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sun Dec 1 06:48:39 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 03:32:14PM +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 10:05:49AM +0100, David Herrmann wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > > Also, if the font was embedded in systemd, distributions would then
> > > remove it in order to replace is with the system version. So I think
> > > that including the font sources is pointless... Debian has it packaged [1],
> > > but an old version, I'm not sure if there have been recent updates, and
> > > possibly in the wrong format. Fedora doesn't seem to have it yet.
> > > But adding fonts is easy, I'd do the Fedora package myself, and other
> > > distributions could surely add/update it.
> >
> > I'm fine with installing the file into the system, but I doubt we win
> > much. It's meant as fallback for early-boot, initrd and so on. If we
> > keep it separate, we must make sure to include it in any systems we
> > build (initrd, containers, vms, ..). So if there's no reason beside
> > license issues, I'd like to keep it built-in.
> There's no reason beside license issues.
Ooops, I was too fast here - there's also the issue of distributions
wanting to avoid duplicated sources, whether it be source code or
fonts or anything else.

I think that there's little point to explore alternative solutions and
wasting more time on this. I'm now pretty sure that assuming that
unifont.hex is available as a compilation time dependency and
transforming it and including in the systemd-gfx binary is the proper
thing to do.

Zbyszek