[systemd-devel] Presentation was a success

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Dec 6 06:20:53 PST 2013

On Fri, 06.12.13 12:17, Cecil Westerhof (Cecil.Westerhof at Snow.nl) wrote:

> On 12/06/2013 11:31 AM, poma wrote:
> >In 7th slide - "Improvements" - Only necessary kernel modules
> >How does it actually refers to systemd?
>
> You do not need to have modules loaded that are not used much. They
> can be loaded when a program that needs them is run and unloaded
> when the program terminates. This is done with:
>     /etc/modules-load.d/<PROG>.conf
>
> I'll try to make a video tonight to demonstrate this.

Hmm???

All properly written kernel modules are auto-loaded when needed,
i.e. for drivers this is when the hw they drive appears, and for other
stuff it is when the device is first accessed.

/etc/modules-load.d/ is only for the ones which do *not* carry enough
auto-loading information to work like this. All moduels listed there are
loaded at boot uncondtionally.

Also note that unloading kernel modules is a debugging operation, it
should not be done during as part of normal codepaths. To underline
this: a service that tries to load a kernel module at boot and unload it
at shutdown is broken. Nothing should ever try to unload it. (And
properly, instead of inside a service.)