[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn and pam_securetty

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 8 16:02:04 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 08/12/13 23:46 did gyre and gimble:
>> > 3. And finally, if we should not add "console", could nspawn do
>> > something clever with a temporary file + bind mount to temporarily allow
>> > console logins in the /etc/securetty without actually modifying it.
> I don't think it's worth trying to bind mount it like that, since there
> a couple of ioctls that leak the original name (ptsname()), and there
> are cases where you need to look up the device in /sys. In fact, in
> systemd we have some code to track down to which tty /dev/tty,
> /dev/tty0, and /dev/console currently point, and playing games with
> renaming things certainly conrtadicts the general goal of such code...

I was really meaning bind mounting over /etc/securetty with new content
not the /dev/tty* or /dev/console or anything more creative like that.

Your (and others) answers are pretty clear tho' and confirm what I
suspected (and hence made my first question!).

Cheers all!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie