[systemd-devel] Problem with LXC and systemd-gpt-auto-generator

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Tue Dec 10 12:53:44 PST 2013

Good evening. I have noticed a problem on systemd 208. I get an odd
error when trying to enable/disable:

# systemctl disable dhcpcd
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service'
<27>systemd-gpt-auto-generator[171]: Failed to verify GPT partition
/dev/dm-5: No such file or directory

but the link does get removed

# systemctl enable dhcpcd
ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service'
'/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service'
<27>systemd-gpt-auto-generator[179]: Failed to verify GPT partition
/dev/dm-5: No such file or directory

but the link does get created

It also happens with 207. If I downgrade to 206 it does not happen.
With
# systemctl --version
systemd 206
+PAM -LIBWRAP -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +ACL +XZ

This is on ArchLinux. I have another container, just created with
"lxc-create -t lxc-archlinux..." and this shows an error on boot but
otherwise appears to work:

Failed to verify GPT partition /dev/dm-17: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator exited
with exit status 1.

I expect this is due to the added feature in 207 "A logic to
automatically discover and enable home and swap partitions on GPT disks
has been added" but it seems to cause a problem inside LXC. The problem
goes away after downgrading to 206.

Is this a bug or should I be doing something that I am not ?