[systemd-devel] [RFC] Initial libsystemd-asyncns commit

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 10 17:43:38 PST 2013

On Wed, 11.12.13 02:36, Marcel Holtmann (marcel at holtmann.org) wrote:

> why do we have to spawn threads or do forks for DNS. This looks all
> pretty expensive. In ConnMan for example we just wrote our own async
> DNS using a mainloop. Works perfectly fine and is dirt cheap.

Well, we don't fork threads/processes for each call but reuse them.

What libasyncns does what your solution doesn't do is go via NSS. This
means /etc/hosts, nss-myhostname, nss-ldap, nss-mdns and so on just
work, while that all is lost when doing DNS natively.

I am pretty sure we should not bypass NSS for this.