[systemd-devel] The whole su/pkexec session debate

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 10 18:14:04 PST 2013

On Wed, 20.11.13 09:49, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 10:16 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
> > How do we fix this?
>
> There are a lot of cases - "screen" is just one of them.  I think to
> make forward progress on this we'll have to enumerate the cases,
> evaluate the problems with each, then for each problem, evaluate a fix -
> and make sure that fix doesn't regress one of the other cases.  Fun! =)
>
> One very important thing that's in the mix here is the user at .service
> future.  It helps us move forcefully away from the old model of
> independent sessions, a direction we've been going incrementally via
> additions of things like XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (and then higher level things
> on top like a per-user bus instead of per-session).
>
> Cron for example could be spawned from user at service.

Note that user at .service actually can be made to stay around if user
lingering is on (see loginctl enable-linger). The idea here is that
allowing cronjobs and suchlike of the user while the user isn't actually
logged in must be something that is explicitly enabled. And the the
lingerng stuff is supposed to do that.