[systemd-devel] Questions I got about systemd

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:24:34 PST 2013

On Dec 11, 2013 5:38 PM, "Cecil Westerhof" <Cecil.Westerhof at snow.nl> wrote:

> On 12/06/2013 01:18 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>>
>>  > Is it possible to do an automatic shutdown when there is no more room
>> to for journald to log? (They did not want to have logging removed.)
>>
>> Currently no. journald tries to never use more than the configured % of
>> disk space and rotates away old logs, so it won't ever see a "disk full"
>> error. But a syslog daemon might help.
>

> The person asking it found it not acceptable that logging disappeared.
But it could be done by a cron job of-course.

Logging does not disappear; /old/ logs do. If they need to be preserved,
run a syslog daemon (either local with /var/log/syslog or remote with a
logserver), or periodically back up old (rotated) .journals... Or, well,
post a feature request? (Actually, I wonder what happens if you set the
maximum to 100% of disk...)