[systemd-devel] systemd-consoled: consequences

e-mail j.deboynepollard-newsgroups j.deboynepollard-newsgroups at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 13 10:09:53 PST 2013

I've been following this with some interest.  You may be interested in the
thoughts that I had on the matter almost three quarters of a decade ago.

  http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Proposals/linux-console-daemon.html

I have since implemented a console daemon of this ilk, but it wasn't for
Linux.  (-:  It did employ a full Unicode BMP font and do all character
rendering and keyboard mapping and processing outwith kernel mode, though.

You're missing some interesting consequences, including:
  * kernel output not being rendered illegible
  * TIOCCONS obsolescence
  * accessibility for the visually impaired as an applications programming
    exercise
  * strong security partitioning with dedicated non-superuser accounts
  * no fixed mappings any more
  * application-mode vcsa(4) devices

For those in detail and more, see the aforementioned WWW page.