[systemd-devel] Does not start in graphical mode

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 16 03:44:40 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Cecil Westerhof at 16/12/13 11:32 did gyre and gimble:
> I made a openSUSE 13.1 VM in virtualbox. I start it in graphical mode.
> But I do not get a X environment.
>
> With journalctl I see that it is reached:
> Dec 16 12:18:33 linux-r4lo.site systemd[1]: Starting Graphical Interface.
> Dec 16 12:18:33 linux-r4lo.site systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical
> Interface.
>
> But only after giving:
>     init 5
> I get a X environment.
>
> With ‘journalctl -b -p err’ I see:
> Dec 16 12:18:17 linux-r4lo kernel: piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.0: SMBus base
> address uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
> Dec 16 12:18:34 linux-r4lo.site killproc[1170]: killproc: Usage:
>                                                     killproc [-v] [-q]
> [-L] [-g|-G] [-N] [-p pid_file] [-i ingnore_file] \
>                                                         [-c root]
> [-t<sec>] [-SIG] /full/path/to/executable
>                                                     killproc -l
>

> Anybody an idea what could be happening here, or how to get information
> to find out what is happening?

This is really not a systemd issue nor an issue you should seek specific
help from the systemd community. As systemd is responsible for starting
all tasks, it can sometimes be hard to work out where things are going
wrong.

But as you are using opensuse for a base, I would start over on an
opensuse specific mailing list or forum and only raise it here if you
know it's a systemd bug.

In this case it's looking very much like a problem at a more local
level. Use "systemctl" to see what services have failed (I don't know if
opensuse is still using the generic prefdm or individual units to start
the DM), try and track down where the invalid use of killproc is
specified (likely in a unit or script somewhere) and go on from there.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie