[systemd-devel] fstrim "cron" job

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Dec 21 06:11:32 PST 2013

Am 21.12.2013 14:44, schrieb Kay Sievers:
> Trimming should be the job of the filesystem, not for a nasty cron
> job. We do not want to support legacy filesystems with upstream
> shipped systemd units.

doing it permanently on the fs-layer degrades all time performance
doing it in a cron job regulary does not affect performance that way

> Readahead is pointless and wrong enough already to ship and enable in
> systemd; using slows down bootup on all of my machines

yes and no

the question is not only hwo long the boot process itself takes
how long does it take until you KDE/GNOME session is fully loaded

there are always a few seconds between boot and enter username / pwd
in this time window readahead already loads things from disk which
are need due login - the summary of both is the interesting number