[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 01:27:24 PST 2013

2013/1/29 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>

> On Tue, 29.01.13 13:28, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:
> > to use an external textfile or db in combination with a specfic script
> for
> > this purpose??
>
> It sounds as if you are asking for the for the udev hardware database
> stuff we recently added which allows looking up static data by USB/PCI
> vendor/product IDs (actually, the lookup is done via kernel modalias
> strings, and hence also supports all kinds of other bus ids) in an
> indexed database, rather then via rules. Currently, this is already used
> for looking up vendor/product strings, but sooner or later the plan is
> to move the keymap matching logic into it as well.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdHardwareDatabase
>
> And yes, the vid/pid checking to detect the Plugable device should move
> into this database, too.

Aha. Sounds very good te me.

> > Futher the test_autoseat can check the policy, which can override the
> > "default" behaviour for this device. This policy is settable by admins.
>
> We already have a way to persistenly change the seat assignment of a
> device, we don't need multiple ways to say that a specific port
> replicator/multi seat device locally should be treated as something
> different than the default.
>
> ID_AUTOSEAT only has an effect if there is no explicit seat assignment
> of the hardware set anyway. ID_AUTOSEAT is hence strictly about
> defaults, and is overriden by any user configuration made with "loginctl
> attach-device".

I think I misunderstood the assigning of a device to a seat.
The creation of a seat is not done by the udev rules, what I assumed first,
but only some properties (tags) are set, like ID_AUTOSEAT, SEAT and
ID_FOR_SEAT.
It's up to the programs who controle the sessions to create a real seat.
This is right?

What program is doing this now? Indeed gdm?

Stef