[systemd-devel] changing the "mount --make-shared /" default

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 4 01:35:04 PST 2013

On Fri, 01.02.13 15:10, Jake Edge (jake at lwn.net) wrote:

> It seems a little unfortunate that programs have to "know" what init
> system they are running under.  Even if Upstart does change the kernel
> default (I have no idea one way or the other), sysvinit or some other
> init probably doesn't.  Any program that wants to work correctly
> "everywhere" needs to set the expected behavior, I guess, even those
> that are currently expecting to find shared mounts.  And that probably
> was true with or without the change Lennart made ...

Well, most container/namespace solutions used to plug "mount
--make-rshared /" or something similar into the boot somewhere, since
shared behaviour is what they usually want. With systemd we now made
that unnecessary, and cleaned things up a bit, since doing such a global
change in individual packages is nor particularly nice and not easy to
get race-free.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.