[systemd-devel] Booting with USB flash disk installed results in wrong disk numbering

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 5 05:42:25 PST 2013

Am 05.02.2013 14:30, schrieb Baurzhan Muftakhidinov:
> I've tried on netbook and on relatively powerful laptop to boot 10 times
> latest ArchLinux's archboot image from the USB drive.
>
> On laptop, hard disk was /dev/sda 10 times out of 10 tries,
> On netbook, only 3 times hard disk was /dev/sda and 7 times USB drive
> became /dev/sda.

that's what random means :-(

> What concerns me here is that there is no consistency on less powerful machine.
> So I should just believe in the RANDOM choice on every boot on my netbook?

yes

> On Debian with sysvinit it works just fine. When I change sysvinit to
> systemd (kernel and udev are the same),
> I see the situation I am talking here.

UUID's or at list LABEL= for mount-points were invented long before
systemd became a topic, finally it was ALWAYS luck to get the
same /dev/sdX but since this is meaningless because for years
anything and anybody refers UUID's nonody is wasting his time to
try make it more stable for no benefit