[systemd-devel] build failures in latest master from d848b9cbfa0ba72381363accce481600169df2eb

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:43:32 PST 2013

2013/2/5 Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>:
> On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 13:10 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> We do not want to place shared libraries with private APIs in the
>> system. Other people might rely on stuff which we can never track.
>
> Note that it installs into a private subdirectory, so people writing
> apps can't just use -lsystemd-shared in their linker lines in their
> build systems, and unless they also go to the effort of adding an rpath
> or LD_LIBRARY_PATH for /usr/lib/systemd/private to their executables,
> dynamic linking will also fail.

Please don't add such a private shared library. Aside from being ugly
and having systemd and it's tools have to use an RPATH, it makes (as
already mentioned) packaging udev separately harder. I think a few KB
of disk space do not warrant that change.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?