[systemd-devel] python - reading the journal

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Feb 5 11:25:47 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> What about renaming Journalctl to Journal? It doesn't really control anything :)

Neither does the actual journalctl. :-)

But, systemd's naming convention is to call first-tier shell utilities
<something>ctl and second-tier shell utilities systemd-<something>ctl.
It should definitely not be in the Python library.

I prefer to have the first layer of C wrappers mimic the original C
API as closely as possible (in function names and arguments) and have
a regular Python wrapper providing an OO-friendly, Pythonic interface.
It keeps the C minimal and opens the door to alternative Pythonic
abstractions without forcing the authors to write their own C module.

--
David Strauss