[systemd-devel] Shedding some legacy naming: syslog "priority"

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Feb 5 16:57:03 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> Why? Higher level, lower level, the term "level" is _very_ strongly tied
> to (vertical) ordering. Also, height-related methaphors are one of the
> most common in all languages, so using "level" makes the metaphor easy.

I guess you're right about it implying ordering, but it still doesn't
clearly imply which ordering. Is a "higher level" message shown when
the situation is more critical or when the program is running in a
more verbose mode?

> I prefer 'level' much more, mainly because, like you said, it's the program
> that is verbose. And also because it's shorter.

Agreed.

--
David Strauss