[systemd-devel] Feature request: schedule jobs for last day of month

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Feb 5 18:17:46 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM, David Strauss <david at davidstrauss.net> wrote:
> Is there interest in a patch? It looks like adding Recurrence= to
> timer units to support iCal RECUR format would be trivial.

I'm personally not too excited about supporting a full embedded
"language for timers". :)

Many of the things in iCal we *really* don't want or need, like the
re-occurrence counters we would need to store and we likely don't want
that kind of state, the time zones which I think we should entirely
ignore for a system service, weird things like dependencies on the Mon
vs. Sun start of the week.

Also quite some things in iCal's reoccurrence make most sense with
fixed start/end dates, which is really nothing that should end up in
unit files. The main focus of systemd timer units is still "fixed"
intervals, not fixed dates.

We need to be careful here, PID1 is not the admin's personal calendar
"reminder". Always keep in mind that every change here needs a full
daemon reload. :)

It all sounds a bit like a "I do because I can" thing, because it
looks easy to plug in a library that says it does all that, but is
that really something needed and useful for a system service to
schedule?

Kay