[systemd-devel] [Patch] NumLock setting from vconsole.conf

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 6 05:38:22 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM, David Herrmann
<dh.herrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:

> All in all, it sounds nice to have this option at vconsole.conf, but
> it affects _global_ state, not _local_ VT state so other users might
> be really confused if they wonder why their Xserver starts with
> NUMLOCK enabled and they cannot find the option to disable it (why
> would one look into vconsole.conf to modify xserver or input
> behavior?).

We should really stop pimping up vconsole stuff. It makes not much
sense to fiddle with all the really crazy things the kernel cannot do
properly.

We should not pretend we can do things here, which we can't really. I
personally already spent (and lost) too many hours with the VT stuff
and fonts and keymaps and all that.

Can we please just leave it alone now, and focus on kmscon or whatever
can in theory do all that. The kernel stuff is just not made for this
kind of fiddling.

Thanks,
Kay