[systemd-devel] [Patch] NumLock setting from vconsole.conf

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 6 07:36:45 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM, David Herrmann
<dh.herrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I actually don't care that much whether this option gets introduced or
> not. The race-condition is pretty hard to trigger and even if you
> trigger it, it doesn't cause any big problems but only wrongly lit
> LEDs.

We should really step back from doing anything non-essential with VT
settings from the systemd core tools. That meas things which are not
needed to log in, or type in a password. The fonts and keymaps are
obviously essential and needed, LEDs, key states, repeat rates are not
so much.

If people need that they should hook up some other additional tool.
It's basically the same rule we have for other fancy things too like
hwclock and such. Systemd should not make any promises here, if we
cannot deliver a reliable an supportable solution here with what the
kernel offers us here.

> But the VT layer is just so broken that it feels wrong to introduce
> more bogus features that don't work well with the rest of the system.

Right, I personally know too much stuff about VCs, stuff I never
wanted to know, and wasted too much time with it.

All the stuff we offer in the core, we need to support properly and we
will get bugs for it, and will need to debug and fix them. I really
don't want to do that.

In short: I'm against adding *any* new non-essential features to
vconsole in its current state.

Sorry,
Kay