[systemd-devel] When and why was write_cd_rules and 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules where dropped?

Robert Milasan rmilasan at suse.com
Thu Feb 7 05:20:28 PST 2013

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:11:13 +0100
"Kay Sievers" <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:

> Because these links make the most sense when we support multiple
> drives, and as mentioned above, we don't want to support any kind of
> stateful rules anymore. We just do the absolute minimum today, and
> that is /dev/cdrom.
>
> People actually asked to remove /dev/dvd link we created in the
> initial code, to not make any promises anymore, and not make it look
> like multiple devices are supported:
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=19b66dc57cce27175ff421c4c3a37e4a491b9c01
>
> Your rules look fine, but we don't want to add them upstream, we just
> provide the absolute minimum these days, and people should fix their
> apps to query for devices, or add custom (or the distribution does)
> rules to support legacy requirements.
>
> Kay

Well thank you Kay, that clears some things and to be honest it does
help, but I still am on the idea the a base static rules for the
primary cd/dvd driver should exists, don't think that those rules would
screw something up.

Thanks!

--
Robert Milasan

L3 Support Engineer
SUSE Linux (http://www.suse.com)
email: rmilasan at suse.com
GPG fingerprint: B6FE F4A8 0FA3 3040 3402  6FE7 2F64 167C 1909 6D1A