[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] src/test

Thomas H.P. Andersen phomes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:08:54 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 12:15:24PM -0800, Thomas H.P. Andersen wrote:
>>  src/test/test-env-replace.c |  135 +++++++++++++++++++-------------------------
>>  1 file changed, 60 insertions(+), 75 deletions(-)
>>
>> New commits:
>> commit 1f28b2deb4e118cd2d2a5138ccb4cc45841c136d
>> Author: Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen <phomes at gmail.com>
>> Date:   Thu Feb 7 21:10:31 2013 +0100
>>
>>     test-env-replace: assert results instead of printing them
> Hi Thomas,
> I think that printing of the results is quite useful - when something goes
> wrong. Whatever is printed goes into the test log anyway, so I think
> those print statements should be kept.

Hi Zbyszek,

To make sense of the results you will have to look at both the test
log and the code. I mean, just seeing lines like "BAR BARwaldo" in the
log is not helpful without also looking at the test code :) With the
asserts both the input and expected output can be seen directly in the
code. For the log perhaps it would be okay to only write the expected
result vs. actual result for failing asserts? Like:
Assert failed. Expected "BAR BARwaldo" but got "BAR BAR". ?

We could make an assert_eq(char *a, char *b) to handle that without
cluttering the code with lots of printing.
Or I can just add the printfs/puts back. It is not something I feel
strongly about :)

Thomas