[systemd-devel] systemd should not call KDSKBMODE on a VT with X

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 8 17:46:09 PST 2013

On Sat, 02.02.13 14:17, Arthur Taylor (art at ified.ca) wrote:

> Hello systemd developers
>
> TL;DR: On a VT which X is running, messing with KDSKBMODE on
> underneath X at best has no affect and at worst breaks keyboard input
> badly. In the short term, systemd should stop calling this ioctl
> because it has no benefit and makes no sense.

I have now changed systemd git to only set K_UNICODE if it was K_XLATE
before. That should mostly fix the issue at hand.

Something that is particularly nice about all of this is that
/usr/include/linux/kd.h claims "K_OFF is no longer implemented, but
preserved for source compatibility" even that is certainly not the case
according to the actual sources...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.