[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn and Debian

Jake Edge jake at lwn.net
Fri Feb 8 19:35:27 PST 2013

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 02:58:05 +0100 Michael Biebl wrote:

> >> yes ... and there was a /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab, just not
> >> in /etc/inittab for reasons unknown ... i symlinked it and it gets
> >> a lot further (but not to a login prompt) now ...
> >
> > Uh, that's weird. Michael, Tollef, any idea what is going on?
>
> This is strange and I can't explain or reproduce that.
> Fwiw, I've tried the following
>
> # create the Debian sid chroot
> debootstrap sid /srv/sid
> chroot /srv/sid
> apt-get install systemd
> exit
> # in a F18 system
> systemd-nspawn -b -D /srv/sid/ /bin/systemd
>
> basically works.

fair enough, that works for me ... with lots of errors as Michael
noted ... though it just drops me into a shell after booting, rather
than giving me a login prompt (which is probably just as well, since i
didn't set a root password :)

what *I* did, that didn't work was:

# debootstrap unstable /srv/mumble

that is what resulted in a lack of /etc/inittab fwiw ... perhaps that's
useful for future googlers ...

thanks,

jake

--