[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 11 12:18:26 PST 2013

On Mon, 11.02.13 09:39, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> I'm not sure about unique ids, but I would have thought that the
> pluggable devices would have been easier to identify individually via
> serial numbers that were actually different in each device precisely for
> this reason. Failing that, the USB port used can be part of the
> identifier I guess. Either way, there will be some way to nail things
> down.

USB devices generally do not have reliable serial numbers. We can never
use them for anything by default. Hardware manufacturers. So logind
defaults to identifying devices by the stable bits of the device
path. That also has the benefit of allowing people to replace broken
devices with new ones: as long as they plug the replacement hw into the
same USB port things will just work.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.