[systemd-devel] Bad handling of "/" in instance names?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 12 19:42:32 PST 2013

On Thu, 31.01.13 20:37, Lars Kellogg-Stedman (lars at oddbit.com) wrote:

> I have a templated service for which each instance needs to receive
> arguments of the form "foo/bar".  This works fine when starting the
> service:
>
>   # systemctl start myservice at foo/bar.service

"systemctl start will actually implicitly convert this to
"myservice at foo\x2fbar.service" if  you write the service name like this.

> But trying to *enable* this service results in an error:
>
>   # systemctl enable myservice at foo/bar
>   Failed to issue method call: Invalid argument

There's currently an asymmetry here: the implicit logic described above
only works on "systemctl enable", not on "systemctl start", and we
really should fix that. It's just oversight that we currently don't
apply this to "systemctl enable" correctly, too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.