[systemd-devel] troubleshooting different behaviour of systemd between f16 and f18

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 13 04:53:44 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Thierry Parmentelat
<thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback; I didn't know that, so it might come in handy in understanding the problem
>
> However, I'm puzzled because it looks like there's no attempt at all to launch pl_sysinit

The background here is:
ExecStartPre= is for preparation of the environment of the following
ExecStart=. But that cannot include any background processes.

As soon as the main process of ExecStartPre= exit()s, all things that
the main process has possibly started in the background will be
forcefully killed by systemd. The entire cgroup where ExecStartPre=
runs in will be cleaned up.

Maybe your stuff is killed before it can even really start?
ExecStartPre= cannot be used to start _any_ processes.

If that is required for your tools, the things from ExecStartPre=
should move into its own additional service file, and that one pulled
in by the main service.

Kay