[systemd-devel] RFC: Predictable Network Interface Names

Holger Winkelmann hw at travelping.com
Thu Feb 14 09:35:13 PST 2013

HI,

we just start  using the network name schema. Anybody
can explain how the LAbels:

"ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD_LABEL=Ethernet Port 1"

defined here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n52

are exposed to user land tools? Can a user land tool i.e. tcpdump or ip tools address
interfaces by using the Label "Ethernet Port 1" ?

Many Thanks,
Holger