[systemd-devel] Journal Message Catalog

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 14 13:46:34 PST 2013

On Thu, 14.02.13 15:21, Keith Robertson (kroberts at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 02/14/2013 03:14 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >Note that you may have multiple catalog files and you can distribute the
> >translations among multiple files. This leaves full flexibility to the
> >projects which want to provide message catalog entries. For example,
> >they could create individual files:
> >
> >/usr/lib/systemd/catalog/foobar.catalog
> >/usr/lib/systemd/catalog/foobar-de_DE.catalog
> >/usr/lib/systemd/catalog/foobar-fr_FR.catalog
> If a project follows the pattern described in [1] do they still need
> to suffix every message ID therein with '-de_DE' or, can systemd
> discover the locale from the catalog name (ie.
> foobar-de_DE.catalog)?

Hmm, interesting idea...

We could extend the msg catalog compiler to look at the filename for the
"default" implied language if the message ids are not suffixed... But if
we do that, we probably should use "." as separator so that:

foobar.catalog → language is C if not explicitly suffixed in the file
foobar.de_DE.catalog → language is de_DE if not explicitly suffixed in the file

and so on. That should be a good solution for your usecase, right?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.