[systemd-devel] High CPU usage of journald

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Feb 18 14:50:17 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Holger Hans Peter Freyther at 18/02/13 18:52 did gyre
and gimble:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 08:47:44AM -0800, David Strauss wrote:
>
> Dear David, all,
>

>> It's possible that a lot of it could also allocate on the stack or use
>> stack-style management of a pool in heap. This is pretty
>> performance-critical code, and we're seeing similar CPU overhead.
>
> I think upstream doesn't care about the CPU overhead of the journald.

I don't really think that's true. It certainly hasn't been optimized
heavily yet, and more concentration is definitely going into features at
present, but that's not to say that performance isn't a goal in the
completeness of time. Also there will be lots of people for whom this is
more of a priority right now and thus they will be the ones perhaps
contributing the patches to help edge things in that direction :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie