[systemd-devel] loopback and dhclient advice please

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 22 03:34:20 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Reindl Harald at 22/02/13 10:55 did gyre and gimble:

> Am 22.02.2013 11:21, schrieb lux-integ:
>> On Friday 22 February 2013 10:00:39 Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> DHCP does not apply to the loopback device as the loopback is
>>> unconditionally configured to 127.0.0.1, and dynamic configuration is
>>> not necessary
>> Thanks for you information concerning the loopback interface.
>>
>> But my question ANDed loopback and dhclient I know that loopback is not
>> related to dhcp.   The unanswered part of my question concerned dhclient.  Are
>> there unit files for dhclient and if not could you provide  suggestions how
>> one would create one?
>
> for what?
>
> dhclient does not need to be started as service
> it is startet if a interface configured for dhcp comes up

I have seen some people using dhclient as a templated service configured
to trigger when the device shows up (e.g.
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device +
Requires=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device).

This kind of setup might be desirable in very basic custom
configurations where the full network "initscripts" are not needed.

But to answer the OP's question, no, there are not units for dhclient
that are shipped with systemd. You may find some examples of units for
dhclients that some people have created for their custom setups however.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie