[systemd-devel] python - reading the journal

Steven Hiscocks steven-systemd at hiscocks.me.uk
Sat Feb 23 06:05:27 PST 2013

On 23/02/13 00:43, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:46:35PM +0000, Steven Hiscocks wrote:
>>> I've pushed a few commits to
>>> https://github.com/keszybz/systemd/commits/python-systemd-reader
>>> This is your tree but rebased onto my id128 stuff, and modified
>>> to use it. It also has sphinx-generated documentation and gcc
>>> all warnings fixed. Please have a look.
>>>
>>> Zbyszek
>>>

>> Thanks Zbyszek. Looks really good. Tidied it up a bit :)
>>
>> With the macros for python 2 and 3 differences:
>> I wonder if unicode_FromString is a bit confusing, as the macro
>> returns a string and not Unicode for python2? Same for long_AsLong,
>> which returns int in python2?
> I don't think that this matters too much. There's a comment about
> the naming convention before the macros, and anyway this is purely
> internal stuff.
>
>> Also, not related to the commits:
>> I've noted that `sd_journal_get_cursor` man pages states that it
>> returns 0 on success, but it actually returns 1. Note sure if the
>> code or man page is in error. There is a comment in _reader.c
>> get_next against `sd_journal_get_cursor`, which I guess needs to be
>> removed once this is clarified.
> This has been now fixed in the master branch.
Good stuff :)

> I've pushed a few more commits to
> https://github.com/keszybz/systemd/commits/python-systemd-reader.
> Important changes:
>
> 1. Checks for return values of all function calls, so now
> everything should fail nicely, even on OOM conditions. This
> lengthens the code quite a bit, but seems unavoidable.
>
> 2. The value returned for __TIMESTAMP_MONOTONIC:
> both fields are returned as a tuple. Under Python 3
> a named tuple is used:

> datetime.timedelta(0, 15, 368483)
> UUID('9838676e-2666-4a83-b8be-b0654747f8be')
>
> I think that this is relatively lightweight, yet nice to use.
>
> Under Python 2.7, a normal tuple is returned, so it is necessary
> to use t['__MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP'][0], t['__MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP'][1].
>
> I first tried with a class, and it felt too complicated.

Like it. Makes sense as the monotonic timestamp is useless without a bootid.

I was thinking another way which would allow use of named tuple in both
python2.6+ and python3, would be combining the "__MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP"
and "_BOOT_ID" together within the `_convert_entry` method within
"journal.py". I assume that the boot id returned by
"sd_journal_get_monotonic_usec" will always be the same as "_BOOT_ID"?
Or equally you could pass back a plain tuple for __MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP
and then change namedtuple within python _convert_entry?

How about changing the `seek_monotonic` method in journal.py to accept a
tuple?

> 3. Sphinx documentation can be generated with 'make destdir-sphinx'.
> This target is part of 'make doc-sync', which means that the documents
> will be uploaded along with the man pages to freedesktop.org.
> So when this is merged
>    http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/python-systemd
> will be the URL with docs. Preview is at:
>    http://keszybz.github.com/systemd/python-systemd/
>
> This way that the docs are generated is not very nice (whole package
> is installed using random DESTDIR, and sphinx-build is run with
> PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to this directory), but seems
> to work. The documentation is only generated on request, i.e. only by
> conscious developers, so it's not catastrophic even if this doesn't
> always work.
>
> I think that this is becoming mergeable.
>
> Zbyszek

Thanks for all your work on this Zbyszek :)

--
Steven Hiscocks