[systemd-devel] Offtopic question.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:21:07 PST 2013

Yes, thanks a lot. I've read it, understood, maybe this whole locking thing
should be replaced with a better approach. First you mention in the first
blog entry:

"Mandatory locking is available too. It's based on the POSIX locking API
but not portable in itself. It's dangerous business and should generally be
avoided in cleanly written software.
"

Now, what do you mean? I think that mandatory locking is actually better. A
lock by definition is a way to prevent other processes/threads to use a
specific range in a file. What's the use of it when it's not mandatory?
I've read the paper:

http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/mandatory-locking.txt

which is clear to me.

Stef