[systemd-devel] shutdown umount order

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 6 10:45:27 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Ilya Basin at 04/01/13 22:22 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi list.
> On shutdown I have
>    Buffer I/O error on device dm-...
> because the truecrypt disk is unmounted later than the usb disk
> containing the truecrypt image.
> I think this happens, because
> 1) systemd can't figure out the correct mount dependencies
> 2) umount is called with the force flag
> ---------
> There are workarounds specially for truecrypt, but why not solve the
> problem entirely?
>
> 1) I think the mount dependencies can't be made 100% reliable. systemd
> should use the combination of them and /proc/mounts, but only as a HINT
> In my case /proc/mounts contains the right order.
> 2) Instead of force umount, systemd should first try to umount
> everything gracefully, and if at least one mount point was unmounted
> successfully, then retry.
> Only if all mounts are busy, systemd should force umount the first
> candidate and then repeat the graceful umount for others.

I'm pretty sure the umounting/shutdown logic does exactly this already.
It loops over the devices trying to unmount them and only when no
changes on a complete run of the loop does it exit.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/core/umount.c#n555

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie