[systemd-devel] merge nss-myhostname into systemd

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Tue Jan 8 01:44:50 PST 2013

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 07.01.13 16:41, Eelco Dolstra (eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com) wrote:
>
>>> This merges the nss-myhostname repo with the systemd repo (as requested
>>> in TODO).
>>
>> Eh.  Nss-myhostname is a very useful package, but I'm wondering what the
>> motivation is for merging it into systemd?  (The TODO doesn't say either.)
>
> It's tiny and hostnamed kinda relies on it, even has a check for it
> being around in the initialization. It's easier to just ship it along
> with hostnamed rather than keeping it separate.

Suggesting people to use nss-myhostname by default doesn't look like a
good idea to me. nss-myhostname may work as workaround to trick some
broken legacy applications but breaks others that have valid reasons to
check whether the hostname can be resolved. Returning fake entries is
not a good solution.

cu
Ludwig

--