[systemd-devel] failure to disable a servie from restarting

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 11 11:20:45 PST 2013

Am 11.01.2013 19:47, schrieb Paul Wouters:
> So the daemon restarts all the time. So let's tell systemd to disable
> it, while leaving the service running:
>
> [root at west ~]# systemctl disable ipsec.service
> [root at west ~]# pidof pluto
> 1992
> [root at west ~]# killall -9 pluto
> [root at west ~]# pidof pluto
> 2095
>
> So I guess the man page is either lying or the disasble command is not
> working as expected.

"systemctl stop ipsec.service" is your friend NOT disable

disable controls if the service is started at boot or not
and has logically no effect on a running service because
"systemctl disable httpd.service" does usually not mean
"stop it now", it means "start it not on the next boot"

why?
because you can "systemctl start" a service which is not enabled
at all and if it contains "Restart=always" you normally expect
it to get restartet