[systemd-devel] systemd-analyze-197 broken

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 06:36:47 PST 2013

2013/1/15 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Kok, Auke-jan H at 14/01/13 23:55 did gyre and gimble:
>> I don't think it's as bad as you portray it, but I have an intern
>> software engineer that I will be making systemd-analyze (the non-plot
>> parts - the plot parts should be replaced by bootchart IMO) rewrite in
>> C, so hopefully we can put some of this behind us soon enough.

I had a couple of hours time today and couldn't resist hacking a bit on .
It is a quiet literal translation of the python script with some
infrastructure copy-pasted from other places in systemd, and it still
misses most error checking, but it works :)

Værsågod, Alsjeblieft, Voici, Bitte and Here you are:
https://gist.github.com/4539003

> I find the systemd-analyze plots pretty useful generally. It would be a
> shame to drop it in favour of bootchart if bootchart still requires a
> separate init to be run. i.e. "I've got a problem on this boot right
> now, I'd like a quick graphical representation of it please!" type use
> cases.
>
> I agree in principle with the other posts: i.e. less python deps if
> possible (it's just writing an svg? It's just XML why does it need a
> whole python backend??) and more useful information about timeouts and
> failed jobs etc. etc.

it in deed would be just writing the xml (like bootchart does), but
the current implementation uses cairo to do this, and those svg files
are horrible. If i have some time left i can look into this (this is
actually just mixing the drawing part of bootchart with the code i
already have for "blame")

Simon