[systemd-devel] SSL for gatewayd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 16 14:40:06 PST 2013

On Wed, 16.01.13 21:57, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 09:18:22PM +0100, Holger Winkelmann wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback. In our design we also think about some remote journal
> > logging but want to transport the messages via some form of message
> > protocol.

If you want a PUSH model, what's wrong with HTTP POST? What else do you need?

> > On the final receiving host we could present the logs via http(s)
> Thank you for your feedback too :).
>
> I was thinking of adding UDP or RDS as a transport, with DTLS on top.

UDP isn't reliable. RDS doesn't go through firewalls, does it?

The benefit of HTTP is that it can do a tonload of stuff we need:

- encryption
- authentication
- extensability
- supports a PUSH and a PULL model
- is request based
- reliable
- goes through firewalls
- supported by a myriad of programs anyway
- well understood
- "wget" is installed on any system

I am not sure what can compete with that...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.