[systemd-devel] Instantiated sockets?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 22:03:12 PST 2013

Is there any way to create something like an "instantiated socket"?

As background, I'm setting up inetd-style activation for Xvnc.  I've
created the following two files:

  xvnc.socket:

    [Unit]
    Description=Socket for VNC remote display :10

    [Socket]
    ListenStream=5910
    Accept=true
    # Can only have a single display :10
    MaxConnections=1
    KeepAlive=true

    [Install]
    WantedBy=sockets.target

   xvnc at .service:

    [Unit]
    Description=VNC remote display :10

    [Service]
    User=nobody
    ExecStart=-/usr/bin/Xvnc -SecurityTypes None -query 127.0.0.1 \
                       -inetd -once :10
    StandardInput=socket

Doing things this way, adding additional sockets/displays will require
creating a new .socket/.service file for each display.  It would be
nice if one could do something like this.

  systemctl enable xvnc@:11.socket

Can anyone think of any way to accomplish this?

Thanks!