[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] 3 commits - .gitignore Makefile.am src/bootchart src/core src/efi-boot-generator src/shared

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Mon Jan 21 04:09:06 PST 2013

Le lundi 21 janvier 2013 à 11:49 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and Kay Sievers at 21/01/13 11:03 did gyre and gimble:

> >> Has something changed? ESP has always been mounted on /boot/efi, and
> >> mounting it on /boot is plain wrong; ESP is shared resource for all OS
> >> installed, not private space to place files of this specific
> >> installation.
> >
> > The Linux kernel acts as an EFI boot loader, if copied to the ESP it
> > can be directly executed by the EFI firmware.
> >
> > The initramfs and the kernel live in a vendor sub-directory in the ESP
> > and are read directly by EFI code, and there is no need for grub2, any
> > other additional filesystem driver, raid, network setup, or whatever
> > additional code people think they would need to bring up all sorts of
> > systems.
> >
> > The kernel itself with the initramfs can boot everything, has all the
> > filesystem access which is ever needed, there is no need for anything
> > else on EFI machines. Even the craziest setups can boot directly out
> > of the firmware that way.
> >
> > It's the simplest and most efficient setup a system can have.
> >
> > And "plain wrong" is the sick game which is called grub2, not mounting
> > the EFI partition at /boot. :)
>
> Forgive the noob question (as I have no EFI h/w to be bothered to learn
> this stuff!), but if What Andrey says is correct would this mean we
> cannot have two separate installs without sharing the same /boot? (or
> even a Windows install assuming it uses that space too?). Can you
> comment on those kind of set ups?

You can have several kernel / boot managers on a UEFI partition, usually
from different vendors, because each vendor must use a different prefix
(/EFI/openSUSE vs /EFI/Fedora for instance), so it shouldn't conflict,
unless you try to use different release of the same distributions.

In that case, you'll probably need to edit the EFI Boot Manager entries
(using efibootmgr) and hope each kernel / initrd are stored with a
versioned name.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com>
SUSE