[systemd-devel] Forwarding early boot messages to rsyslog

Scott Shambarger scott-systemd at shambarger.net
Tue Jan 22 16:25:54 PST 2013

(oops, forgot to reply-all :)

On 2013-01-22 17:14, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 22.01.13 16:55, Scott Shambarger
> (scott-systemd at shambarger.net) wrote:
>> Agreed, however I'd like to suggest another possibility.  Perhaps
>> journalctl could add an option to output to a syslog socket (say
>> here /run/systemd/journal/syslog-pre) with all the metadata that
>> journald already provides on forwarded messages... that way I could
>> add a ExecStartPre entry that could background the journalctl dump;
>> I could then have a rsyslog module that preloads from syslog-pre,
>> and then rsyslog could continue on it's merry way. (A wrapper could
>> even unlink syslog-pre after journalctl is finished with it).
>
> We have such a queue already, it's the journal itself, and there's an
> API for it (see above).

True, I was just thinking of a enhancing journalctl (using existing
journald behavior) to provide the ability to feed syslog messages to any
logger without the need to write an independent tool (which would not be
part of systemd) or an extension for each and every legacy syslogger.

Something akin to:

journalctl --to-syslog <socket-name>

which could then take advantage of all the existing filtering and
source merging that journalctl already provides (without having to
re-implement it all).

(if I ever get back home, perhaps I'll write a patch :)

Scott