[systemd-devel] Systemd and network devices under LXC?

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Jan 24 04:36:28 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at oddbit.com> wrote:
>> Are you sure you see the process running there?
>
> I see systemd-udevd running:
>
> # systemd-detect-virt
> lxc-libvirt
> # ps -fe
> UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> root         1     0  0 Jan23 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/init
> root         8     1  0 Jan23 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd

Ok, it does not run in our own container setups, we do not have
CAP_MKNOD in it, that is what the udev service needs and triggers on.

> If udevd isn't expected/supposed to be running in a container, how are
> systemd based distributions -- which is increasingly all of them --
> meant to work in a container environment?

We do not support full distributions really, in a container. The
containers we do support do not need "devices", they run on a static
minimal /dev, set up by the container managing software.

> It is possible to
> synthesize these dependencies so that it is not necessary to modify
> distribution-maintained files?

What do you mean?

Kay